Salkantay Trek Tours 5 days / 4 nights-New Land Expeditions
BOOK NOW THE AWESOME TREK FOR ONLY US$ 300.00
About Salkantay Trek
Discover one of the most famous hikes we have for you (SALKANTAY TREK). With NEW LAND EXPEDITIONS.
According to investigations, the name would have many meanings, (Salkan quey – Salkan pay) Quechua word which means (wild mountain).
This tour lasts between four to five days, where you will see impressive landscapes, ascending to the highest point, which is the Salkantay pass (6430 masl) where you will have a impressive view of the snowy Salkantay, descending until arriving to the lowest point know as LA CEJA DE SELVA “Eyebrow of the Jungle” (santa Teresa town 1500 masl), ending at the stunning Machu Picchu (2425 masl).
According to Peruvian geography snowy Salkantay is located at an altitude of (6271 masl), located in the mountain range of vilcabamba, considered the second highest of Cusco after the Ausangate (6372 masl) mountain range of Vilcanota.
Since ancient times the snowy Salkantay was regarded as a god, named Apu (Quechua word) which means (god or deity) and today it is still keeping this habit by local people, as well as by all travelers, leaving mounds of stones as a small offering in respect to this wonderful snow.
According to the magazine of the National Geographic, Salkantay trek was considered one of the hikes most visited and recommended by travelers worldwide.
For this tour, NEW LAND EXPEDITIONS have the best team of workers such as cooks, porters and especially the best guides of the route, which have an experience of over 15 years and with a great knowledge of our culture and first aid.
FIRST SALKANTAY TREK DAY : MOLLEPATA TREK – SORAYPAMPA
We pick you up from your 4:30 a.m. to drive for about 3 hours to Mollepata where we start ourSalkantay trek . As soon as we are at mollepata while you have breakfast the cook and the horseman will pack all the camping equipment and cooking stuff and we start hiking the first 3 hours will be a little bit uphill to get Cruzpata where we will have lunch with panoramic views of beautiful snow-capped mountains (Humantay; 4120m/13500ft and Salkantay; 6271m/20575ft) – just the start! We will begin our Salkantay trek towards Soraypampa, our first Salkantay Trek camping spot (3800 m/11750ft; the highest and coldest campsite of the trip) we will be very close to the second highest Salkantay snow capped -mountain of Cusco. And if you want to vicit the lake of Humantay you can do it but it’s just up to you.
It’s about 1:20 m walking up from Soraypampa to Humantay lake 4200 m avoid sea level.
1ST DAY:Total distance: 15 km (approx.)
Estimated walking time: 3-4 hours
Maximum altitude point: 3,800 m (approx.)
Campsite altitude: 3,800 m (approx.)
SECOND SALKANTAY TREK DAY: SORAYPAMPA -CHAULLAY OR COLLPAPAMPA (MIGHTY SALKANTAY)
After having our Salkantay Trekbreakfast we start walking about 5:30 am ,because this day will be the longest day the first 4 hours is uphill to get the highest point of the Salkantay Trek (4650m/15200ft) located halfway between 2 huge mountains; Salkantay on the right and Tucarhuay on the left. From the pass, the views of the 2 snow-capped mountains are incredible. There is a possibility of snow here.
After a rest, we will continue our walk (downhill) through a dramatic cloud forest towards Huayracpunku, where we will have lunch. We hike again after lunch in the direction of the start of the jungle until we reach our second Salkantay Trek camping spot of chaullay or Colcapampa (3000m/9800ft).
2ND DAY:Total distance: 19 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 8 – 9 hours
Maximum altitude point: 4,650 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 2,750 m (aprox.)
THIRD SALKANTAY TREK DAY: CHAULLAY – LA PLAYA – SAHUAYACO (CLOUD FOREST)
After breakfast, at 6.30am, we start walking through the upper jungle crossing the Lluskamayo River and a variety of little brooks to reach La Playa walking about 6 hours. Today we will pass through valleys and have wonderful views of waterfalls, tropical fruits ,plants and as soon as we are at la playa place horses will go back to Mollepata on taking the same Salkantay Trek .so we camp at la Playa Sahuayaco
3RD DAY:Total distance: 16 km (approx.)
Estimated walking time: 6-7 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,750 m (approx.)
Campsite altitude: 1,600 m (approx.)
FOURTH SALKANTAY TREK DAY: LLACTAPATA – HYDROELECTRIC TRAIN STATION – AGUAS CALIENTES
We will have breakfast at 7am and leave our camping spot of Lucmabamaba. We walk up on a original Inca Trail about 2:30 and half to Llactapata site where you will get a chance to see Machupicchu far away (one of the most beautiful place to see Machupicchu) then We continue walking down 2.30 and half passing a variety of crop plantations, coca, banana etc. until we reach the hydroelectric station. And after the lunch we keep walking about 2:30 and half hours along the train road till reaching Aguas Calientes town where we will spend the night in a hostel.
In Aguas Calientes, you can take advantage of the thermal springs in the town (entrance 10 soles) a real treat after finishing the Salkantay Trek
4TH DAY:Total distance: 12 km (approx.)
Estimated walking time: 7 – 8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 1,600 m (approx.)
Hostel(aguas calientes) altitude: 1,900 m (approx.)
FIFTH SALKANTAY TREK DAY: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU!!!
Salkantay trek important day ,We wake up early morning about 4 am to then to 4:30 to have the breakfast and leave to walk up to Machupicchu which takes one and half hours up to machupicchu but there is another option to catch the first bus which leaves 5:30 to Machupicchu (25-minutes long) in order to appreciate the magnificent city as the sun is rising.
A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your Guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city by yourselves. If you still have energy you can also climb Huaynapicchu (2720m/8890ft)!!! It takes 45 minutes to reach the top.and after enjoying machupicchu you have to go down to aguas calientes to take the train back to ollantaytambo and then bus back cusco.
5TH DAY:Total distance: 4 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 1- 2 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,700 m (aprox.)
Note: All itineraries are subject to change due to circumstances beyond our control including, weather, road or trail conditions and flight schedules.
SALKANTAY TREK INCLUDES:
• Pre-departure salkantay trek briefing at Hotel or Office *Give us details of the place you are going to stay in cusco please.
• Professional Quechua Spanish and English speaking salkantay trek tour guide
• Collection from your hotel (we pick you up where you are staying from) from 4:30 to 5:00 am
• Private Transportation Van Cusco to Mollepata ( trailhead) to start our salkantay Trek hike.
• Local Transportation from la playa to Santa Teresa (2 hours approx.) Optional we stay at playa to climb Llactapata.
•Tourist train (EXPEDITION) back from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (2 hours approx.) and then bus back to Cusco(1 and half hours aprox. )
• Entrance fee to Machu picchu
• Salkantay Trek Food: 4 breakfasts,4 lunches, 4 afternoon snacks (hot drinks, biscuits and popcorn) and 4 dinners.
• 4 seasons HIGH QUALITY PROPER MOUNTAIN TENT (Best Mountain Hardwear kayla Doite Tents ) (We use only the finest quality aluminum tent poles) 4 man tent for 2-people so there will be plenty of space to set up your backpacks (click here to see details of Newland expeditions Camping Equipment)
• Camping equipment (tent for the staff, cooking and eating tents. portables chairs and tables )
• THERM-A-REST self-inflating air Sleeping mattresses ( a whole new way to sleep in comfort.)(click here to see details of Newland expeditions Camping Equipment)
• Salkantay Trek Cook ,who is in charge of making the food,
• Horsemen, mules or porters Weight allowance: Our horses will carry up to 16 pounds or 7 kilograms of your personal belongings.
If you would like to hire a private horse, ( let us know at the time of booking) (they also carry cooking stuff and camping equipment
• 1 emergency horse to ride every 5 persons – days 1, 2, 3
• 1 night accommodation in a hostel Aguas Calientes (click here to see the hostal in aguas calientes town)
• Health Insurance for our porters, cooks,guides, field crew and Newland Expeditions staff
• Wake up coca tea each morning in your tent for a gentle start
• Newland Expeditions Free duffel bag for your personal stuff
• Oxygen balloon for any emergency
• Others: hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes
• Boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning and night, and at lunch time if requested with enough time ahead
• Two-hours guided tour upon your arrival in Machu Picchu( to explore every important temple of the Santuary).
• Single Tents and vegetarian meals available upon request with no extra cost
• Free “I survived ” T-shirt and certificate (only for PEOPLE who successfully complete the trek!!)
• Transfer train or bus station-hotel in Cusco
• First Aid kit for Emergencies.
• Free Luggage storage. When you go on the trek it is best to leave any luggage that you are not going to need behind in Cusco.
Nearly all the usco provide a secure luggage deposit. Put any valuables in their safe. Very rarely do hotels charge for this service especially if you are returning to the same hotel after the trek. If there are any problems with your hotel we can arrange to store your luggage at our Newland Expeditions office.
SALKANTAY TREK DOESN’T INCLUDE:
• Breakfast on the first day at mollepata (ask at your hotel)
• Entrance to the hot springs water Santa Teresa / Colcalmayo 15 soles or Aguas Calientes 10 soles(click here to see hot springs)
• Sleeping bag (goose down) -15ºC-extreme it can be hired from us US$30 for all trek mummy form and include a sleeping liner. They are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 25 trips
• Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machupicchu (optional/ instead of walking) ( one way US$9 and you can Buy it at the Aguas Calientes bus station) aguas calientes to Machupicchu.
• Last Lunch in aguas calientes town
• Bus down tickets from Machupicchu to Aguas Calientes town US$9 one way
• Local train From Hydroelectric station to Aguas Calientes US$19 Optional instead of walking.
• Travel and health insurance.(bring copies with you please): Newland Expeditions highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation/interruption insurance to protect your travel investment. Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING ON SALKANTAY TREK:
• Original passport and copies (and Student card (ISIC) green card if you are student ). Note ( you have to bring your student card to machu picchu because you are going to be required to show at the Machupicchu control point
• Travel Insurance card is essential
• Sleeping bag (not included)
• hiking water proof boots (with ankle protectors )
• Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
• Warm jacket
• Sun hat and gloves
• T-shirts / shirts
• Comfortable hiking zip off trousers
• Rain pants
• Bathing suit (for hot springs in Santa Teresa and Aguas Calientes)
• Sun protection cream ( factor 35 recommended ) sun is strong
• Insect Repellent ( for mosquitos )15 % of deet at least
• Water bottle.
• Water purifying tablets (Micropur recommended)
• Toilet paper and wet wipes
• Personal medication
• Camera and films
• Torch with spare batteries (flashlight) we recommend headlights
• Extra contribution suggested in soles money for tipping horseman, cook and guide. and for any emergency.
OPTIONAL ITEMS TO BRING ON SALKANTAY TREK:
• Short pants , Plaster and bandages
• Walking poles (with rubber tips) they can also be hired from us
NOTE: walking poles are not allowed into machu picchu city.